Suffering from back pain impacts the quality of your life. What many people don’t understand is their sleeping habits play a significant role in the health of your back. Sleeping on the right mattress makes a world of difference in how your back feels and any pain you may be experiencing.
If you are suffering from back pain, you need to read this article and discover how getting the right mattress for your bed will change your life. There are a variety of mattresses to choose from, depending on your pain. Some mattresses offer pressure relief as they distribute your body weight evenly, to those with a great edge to provide lumbar support.
The following are some of the questions back-pain sufferers ask about mattresses that may help you make the right choice for your next mattress purchase.
Is a Memory Foam Mattress Good for Back Pain?
The memory foam mattress is reported to help relieve back pain as it is the memory foam that makes it easier for your back to achieve a more natural alignment. These mattress types also give you full-body support and reduce pressure points other mattresses can have. Some people still report they experience back pain with memory foam mattresses if they do not get the right body contour to the mattress.
If, while sleeping on a memory foam mattress, your body does not correctly contour to align your spine, it can result in back pain. These mattresses are often suggested for use to relieve back pain issues; you just have to make sure you are achieving the proper support to your lumbar and spine areas.
Is a Firm Mattress Better For Lower Back Pain?
People thought for years that if your back causes you pain, you should get the firmest mattress possible. That opinion is not a fact, and there has been little research into proving this opinion is correct. Doctors now think no one mattress will relieve back pain. Personal preference plays a significant role in the right mattress, as well as your sleeping patterns.
The small amount of research conducted on mattresses and back pain showed in more than 300 hundred participants who suffered from lower back pain; they did better with medium-firm or firm mattresses during the ninety-day test. Those who used the medium-firm mattress had the best results and the least amount of discomfort.
Which Mattress is Best for Side-Sleepers with Back Pain?
The percentage of people who prefer to sleep on their side is about fifteen percent, and they typically stretch their legs out straight. Another forty percent of sleepers prefer the fetal position with their back hunched and their legs slightly bent. Side sleeping is quite common, and it is a challenging position as it puts a lot of pressure points on your back that can cause quite a bit of pain in the long run.
The mattress you choose to sleep on will undoubtedly play a significant role in the health of your back if you are a side-sleeper. The top five picks of mattresses by the experts who studied side-sleepers were all a form of memory foam tops. These memory foam mattresses will contour your body better and provide the support side-sleepers need.
Consumer Reports Best Mattress for Back Pain
Consumer Reports is an American nonprofit organization. This organization is dedicated to providing you with unbiased product testing. They use investigative journalism, product testing, public education, consumer advocacy, and consumer-oriented research to provide you with buying guides to get the best products for your money. The Consumer Reports works side by side with consumers to find fairness, transparency, and the truth in advertising and selling of products. These are their top 5 recommendations for mattresses if you are suffering from back pain.
Solaire calls itself the masterpiece of sleep engineering. It offers advanced firmness technology with superior comfort. This mattress features fifty increments of firmness with the use of a scientific standard of pressure and an upper-flex model that allows sleepers to enjoy infinite comfort options.
The Saatva mattress is a classic hybrid innerspring mattress that blends durability with support. It features a coil-on-coil innerspring system with the finest eco-friendly foams and cushioned comfort. The top of this mattress is a Euro pillow-top to provide you with the ultimate luxurious feel and delivers contour cushioning to your back, hips, and shoulders.
The Saatva is Chiropractor approved as it has been designed with lumbar zone support technology. There is also active wire support in the center of the mattress to give you optimal spinal alignment.
A Dream Cloud mattress offers a six-layer construction and designed to give you impressive support, along with temperature and comfort control. This mattress features a quilted euro top with gel-infused memory foam to keep you cool while you sleep. With this mattress, you have great spinal alignment, no matter how you sleep. It will also provide an overall medium-firm feel.
Loom and Leaf
The Loom and Leaf mattress features an organic cotton cover, with natural thistle flame retardant material. This mattress also has a spinal zone gel of breathable foam to keep you cool as you sleep and provide you with optimal lumbar support. The multi-layer of eco-friendly support foam gives you additional deep contouring support and a night of luxurious sleep.
Eight-Sleep- The Pod
The Eight-Sleep pod is a smart mattress that features advanced cooling and heating technology. This mattress has been designed to help you fall asleep faster and sleep through the night. It is a four-layer premium foam mattress that is eleven inches thick. With built-in sleep technology, this bed will track your toss and turns, heart rate, sleep stages, and more to help you find the best way to sleep.
The Consumer Reports says searching for the best mattress for your back pain is challenging. There are a lot of choices that can make it complicated and daunting to find the mattress that will relieve your back pain. It is the advice of Consumer Reports that when looking for a mattress, you should choose one for its thickness, firmness, material construction, your weight, and your preferred sleeping position.
The mattresses listed above are the Consumer Reports top picks for mattresses that could help relieve back pain. It is their advice that a good mattress can help you in reducing upper and lower back pain; however, it is not a medical treatment.
The following list is also mattresses that can help you find relief for back pain, and help you sleep more effectively.
1. Zinus Memory Foam Twelve Inch Green Tea Mattress
Conforming Green Tea Memory Foam comfort along with pressure-relieving support to give you a good night’s sleep. It is designed with three inches of memory foam, two inches of comfort foam, and seven inches of high-density base support foam. This mattress also contains a trustworthy and safe antioxidant-infused into its memory foam along with natural green tea extracts. These products help maintain product freshness.
Most Important Features of Zinus Memory Foam Mattress
- Foam comfort to relieve pressure and offer support during a night’s sleep
- Foam is CertiPUR US certified for content, durability, and performance
- Memory foam is three-inches thick with two-inches of comfort foam, and measures seven-inches in height
- The mattress is infused with Zinus memory foam products with natural green tea extracts so mattress maintains its freshness
- The mattress will take only seventy-two hours to fully expand and have any shipping or packaging odors dissipate
- The mattress conforms to the natural shape of your body
- High-density foam layers give you long-lasting stability and durability
- Foam is CertiPHU US Certified for durability, content, and performance
- Infused with natural green tea extract to maintain freshness
- Outside fiberglass cover cannot be removed as it will unleash fiberglass into the air
- Some mattresses have come with an undesirable odor
2. Inofia Mattress, Hybrid Bed Mattress with Breathable Cooling- CertiPUR-US Certified Foam
The Inofia mattress is constructed of hybrid innerspring with individually wrapped innerspring and CertiPUR-US certified foam. This mattress is high-resilient and strong with springs that provide all-over bounce and support. With the open-cell design, the foam layer makes you feel comfortable, and the airwave adds softness to your sleep.
Most Important Features of Inofia- Mattress
- This mattress is constructed with individually wrapped Innerspring and has been certified by CertPUR-US
- The open-cell foam layers will provide more than the average bounce for a comfortable night’s sleep
- The Inofia- the mattress is ergonomically designed to provide pressure relief to seven different parts of the body
- This mattress is breathable and has an elegant euro-top cushion to help regulate body temperature
- The airy wave foam used with this mattress enhances airflow so you sleep cooler
- The mattress has a seven-zone support system to provide different parts of your body with varied support
- The mattress aligns to sleeper’s body curves
- The innerspring works independently, so there is no motion transfer
- The mattress features elegant euro-top knitted fabric to regulate body temperatures
- The twin size on this mattress appears to be about two inches shorter than other twin mattresses
3. Inofia 10 Inch Twin Hybrid Mattress in a Box
The Inofia- Hybrid Mattress has been designed with responsive memory foam and includes durable pocket springs. This mattress provides sleepers with a good night’s sleep by supporting and releasing pressure points. The mattress has been designed with advanced ergonomics technology to conform to your body’s curves.
Most Important Features of Inofia- Cool Supportive & Pressure Relief Mattress
- This mattress specially designed with responsive memory foam along with durable pockets to offer the support you need for a good night’s sleep
- Inofia has used advanced ergonomics technology with this mattress, so it fits your body perfectly from head to toe
- The Inofia mattress is a medium-firm, yet has a bouncy and supportive feel
- In this Inofia- mattress has an advantage over the traditional mattresses on the market as the top is skin-friendly and helps to regulate your body temperature
- The side net cloth along the sides helps to dissipate heat and the pocket springs enhance airflow
- This mattress creates medium-firm feel as it is bouncy, yet supportive
- The Inofia mattress has advantages over traditional mattresses as you avoid sinking into it
- The top cover of this mattress is skin-friendly and soft to touch
- The side net cloth on this mattress helps to dissipate heat, and the pockets underneath enhance airflow
- Some odor appeared upon opening mattress from the packaging, but it did disappear after a few days
4. Tuft and Needle Mattress with Proprietary T &N Adaptive Foam for Relief and Support
The Tuft and Needle mattress are constructed with freshly poured T and N Adaptive foam to give you a bouncy yet supportive feel. This mattress is perfect for all sleeping positions. The temperature of the Tuft and Needle is not too hot and not too cold; it is just right.
Most Important Features of Tuft and Needle Mattress
- Nowadays most of the people preferring the Tuft and Needle mattress because it has one of the highest five-star ratings
- This mattress has adaptive foam and a bouncy supportive feel
- The Tuft and Needle is great for any type of sleeper whether you sleep on your back or side
- This mattress is not too hot and it is not too cold, it gives you a ‘just right’ sleeping experience
- Tuft and Needle use only high-grade foam which is more leading than other outdated materials such as latex
- High-grade foam construction is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex
- The adaptive foam used in this mattress provides a cool, comfortable sleep
- The adaptive foam offers great pressure relief
- The motion control prevents sleepers from disturbing each other during turns at night
- The mattress does not appear to have the same life-span as conventional mattresses
5. Ashley Furniture Signature Design Memory Foam Mattress
The Ashley Signature Memory Foam Mattress will provide you with a night of deep sleep as it has body contouring with its twelve-inch mattress. This mattress has been designed with layers of memory foam to give sleepers the support and pressure relief needed for a good night’s sleep. The support foam core reduces motion transfer, so you and your partner sleep comfortably.
Most Important Features of Ashley Memory Foam Mattress
- The Ashley Furniture Signature Design mattress brings to you the sleep you’ve always dreamed of with its body-contouring memory foam
- This mattress specially designed by two layers of foam for pressure relief and firm support
- The Ashley Memory Foam Mattress is maintenance-free and this is made from hypoallergenic materials that help to keep out dust mites, pollen, and mold
- The mattress will arrive in a box and within seventy-two hours expand completely and be ready to use
- This mattress is maintenance-free
- The Ashley Signature Memory Foam Mattress is constructed with hypoallergenic materials to keep out dust mites, pollen, pet dander, and mold
- This mattress is perfect for sleepers who suffer from allergies
- Sleepers will enjoy an ultra-plush feel from this mattress
- The mattress does not conform to all sleep patterns
6. Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
The Linenspa Memory Foam Innerspring Hybrid Mattress is constructed of 53% polyester, 39% Rayon Fiber, 6% Polyurethane foam, and 2% Polypropylene fiber. It is a ten-inch mattress that combines traditional support with an innerspring mattress. This mattress offers the plush comfort of memory foam with medium firmness. The Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid mattress will give body contouring for the great support.
Most Important Features of Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress
- The Linenspa mattress is made from a combination of polyester, rayon, and polyurethane foam and is a ten-inch thick hybrid mattress
- The thick layer of foam used in this mattress conforms to your body and eliminates pressure points to increase your sleeping comfort.
- The Linenspa mattress combines the traditional support you find with most mattresses along with an innerspring plush comfort of memory foam
- This mattress will provide you with a medium firmness to improve your sleeping posture and help you wake up feeling refreshed
- The memory foam in the Linenspa Memory Foam mattress conforms to your body to help eliminate pressure points
- This mattress offers medium firmness
- The thick layer of memory foam cradles any sleeper style
- The Linenspa Memory Foam mattress features a cozy knit cover that gives one a cocoon of comfort
- Some of the mattresses do not decompress as stated
7. Molblly Twelve-Inch Innerspring Mattress with Ultimate Motion Isolation
The Molblly Innerspring Mattress with Ultimate Motion Isolation features independently pocket springs and individually wrapped coils, so they move alone and not as a whole bed. This independent movement gives you a motion isolation sleep and eliminates disturbing a partner with turning. These pockets also provide body contouring, so you receive the support you need from your shoulders to your feet.
Most Important Features of Molblly Innerspring Mattress
- The Molblly mattress is an independently pocket spring mattress with coils that move independently to provide consistent distribution of support throughout the night
- The tightly covered surface holds the foam on the spring system to give you a plush sleeping surface
- The support system in this mattress consists of tempered steel coils that will provide full-body support from your head to your toes
- The Molblly mattress has been CertiPUR-Us certified and does not consist of any unhealthy chemicals
- It made with a tempered steel coil system to give you the ultimate support
- CertiPUR-US certified means this mattress is free of unhealthy chemicals
- This mattress caters to your vertebral well, so you have a complete support while you sleep
- The surface of the Molblly Innerspring mattress that covers tightly with a comfortable surface
- Coils can be felt on the sides as there is no foam casing along the outside
8. SOPAT Extra Thick Mattress Topper- Double Border, Down Alternative
The SOPAT Extra Thick Mattress Topper has adopted a newly developed double border pillow top construction design. This technology means the topper comes with more filling than other toppers on the market. The SOPAT uses incremental HTMicrofiber filling that makes it breathable, quiet, and incredibly soft. The surface of the topper is 100% 400TC cotton.
Most Important Features of SOPAT Extra Thick Mattress
- The SOPAT mattress pad cover is extra thick and constructed using double-border pillow top technology
- This mattress pad cover has more than 50% extra filling than most pads on the market
- The surface made in 400TC and it’s 100% cotton
- The pocket design of the SOPAT mattress pad cover will easily stretch and fits mattresses up to twenty-one inches thick
- The HT Microfiber used in this product is healthy and comfortable making it suitable for anyone to sleep on
- This contents of this SOPAT mattress topper are healthy and comfortable for everyone
- The pocket design of this topper makes it easily stretch to fit a mattress up to twenty-one inches thick
- This topper is machine washable making it easy to keep clean
- The SOPAT contains 50% more filling than other toppers on the market
- The material in topper does not have a cooling effect
9. Best Choice Products Medium-Firm Twelve-Inch Mattress with Moisture Wicking
The Best Choice Medium-Firm Mattress is a moisture-wicking, charcoal, gel mattress that has been designed to eliminate odors, and regulate temperatures. This moisture absorbing mattress also inhibits dust mite growth. The all-natural green tea infused mattress uses memory foam to promote freshness without the use of chemicals. It also promotes improved circulation and relieves pressure from your muscles.
Most Important Features of Best Choice Products Medium-Firm
- Best Choice mattress features moisture-wicking and charcoal gel to help eliminate odors and regulate temperatures
- The anti-odor green tea layers are all-natural and promote freshness without the use of harmful chemicals
- This mattress is a medium-firm comfort to give you the support you need for a good night’s sleep and promotes circulation to relieve pressure points
- The non-slip mattress cover on the Best Choice mattress is made from polyester and cotton and adds extra support so the mattress preserves its shape
- The Best Choice Medium-Firm mattress is the perfect balance between firm and soft to improve your circulation
- This mattress has a non-slip cover and gives you a soft and comfortable sleep
- The Best Choice mattress has an anti-odorant for a cool sleeping experience
- The memory foam in this mattress offers excellent back support
- Some customers have found the mattress to be too firm
10. IYEE Nature Twelve-Inch Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The IYEE Nature Twelve-Inch Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress has been designed with three layers of foam. This mattress provides high-density support and heat dissipation. The all-foam design combines expertise and the best materials through advanced sleep technology. The memory foam will allow for continuous airflow to make it skin-friendly.
Most Important Features of IYEE Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- The Iyee Nature mattress specially design in twelve-inch memory foam in three different layers to provide the support needed for a good night’s sleep
- There are over three inches of memory foam in each of the three layers to provide you with a high-density base support
- The cover is an ultimate soft, hypoallergenic material that is easy to maintain and completely washable
- The all-foam design to this mattress is conductive to airflow and is skin-friendly, breathable materials that make it perfect for any type of sleeper
- This mattress well made and it’s skin-friendly materials making a good choice for anyone
- The memory foam with this mattress provides buoyant, no-sink support for backs and other areas of your body
- The memory foam on the IYEE Nature mattress conforms to your body no matter which position you sleep
- There are no harmful chemicals in this mattress, and it features reduce motion transfer to make for a comfortable night’s sleep
- Not all mattresses expand to the full twelve inches
There is nothing better than getting a good night’s sleep. Not only does it make the day start out better, getting proper sleep is beneficial to your overall health. Here we have listed most of the mattresses constructed from memory foam that will help molds to your body in response to pressure and heat. This type of mattress is also able to distribute your weight evenly.
Choosing one of the mattresses we have listed above will protect you against impact and help you address your back pain. Sleep institutes have discovered these mattress types have been able to relieve pressure points and improve sleep. If you are suffering from back pain, neck pain, or just find it hard to get a good comfortable night’s sleep, choose one of the above mattresses to improve your night.